How much does it cost to feed a person?Because of donated food items from generous individuals, families, businesses and other organizations, we are able to provide a complete meal for only $1.92.
How many meals do you serve each day? Each year?On average UGM serves over 470 meals per day and over 175,000 meals yearly to those in need.
How do I become a volunteer at the Mission?Union Gospel Mission of Salem relies on the service of compassionate members of our community to carry out the work we do. Every day there are a great number of individuals, families and groups who do everything from serving meals to answering phones to leading the Chapel Services. For more information, visit our Volunteer page.
How do I apply to work at Union Gospel Mission of Salem?
Are my donations 100% tax-deductible?Your gift is tax-deductible to the full extent of the law and we will send a receipt for your records.
Where do you get your funding? Government?The Union Gospel Mission of Salem is funded through the generous and caring gifts of individuals, churches, foundations and other organizations. UGM does not solicit or accept government funding of any type.
What denomination is UGM?Union Gospel Mission is a non-denominational, Christ-centered, evangelical ministry. As such we believe:
- We believe the Bible to be the inspired, infallible and authoritative Word of God.
- We believe that there is one God, eternally existent in three persons: Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit.
- We believe in the deity of our Lord Jesus Christ, in His virgin birth, in His sinless life, in His miracles, in His vicarious and atoning death through His shed blood, in His bodily resurrection, in His ascension to the right hand of the Father, and in His personal return in power and glory.
- We believe that for the salvation of lost and sinful men, regeneration by the Holy Spirit is absolutely essential.
- We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit by whose indwelling the Christian is enabled to live a Godly life.
- We believe in the bodily resurrection of the just and unjust, the everlasting blessedness of the saved, and the everlasting conscious punishment of the lost.
- We believe in the spiritual unity of believers in Christ.
What are some of your greatest ongoing needs?To be able to meet the needs of those who come to us daily, we can always use basic necessities like food, clothing and toiletries. Additionally, we are always in need of good quality vehicles, furniture and other household items that can be given to the needy in the community or sold at the Mission Store to support the life changing programs at UGM.
Where do you get your food?Union Gospel Mission of Salem receives food in 3 ways, First, thousands of dollars worth of food items are donated to us through out the year from individuals, churches, businesses and schools. Secondly, through partnership with Marion Polk Food Share UGM is able to acquire quality food items for little cost. Lastly, UGM purchases some food and supplies to ensure we provide proper nutritious meals to our guests.
Are people required to sit through a chapel service in order to receive a meal?While there is a Chapel service following every evening meal, UGM will never turn anyone away who is hungry. Guests are encouraged to join us as the Good News of Christ is preached and most often appreciate the encouragement and fellowship these services provide.
What happens to the clothing donated to UGM?Donated clothing is always made available to the needy. This happens in a variety of ways.
- Guests and those in our programs are given access to our onsite clothing closets and our vouchers to receive clothing at the Mission Store.
- Needy individuals from the community can access free clothing through the R.O.C. Outreach Center.
- For those on a limited income, clothing items can be purchase at the Mission Store for bargain prices. (100% of the proceeds support the local work of Union Gospel Mission of Salem.)
Is there a way for me to leave a part of my estate to UGM?Yes, Union Gospel Mission of Salem is honored when supporters decide to include UGM in their will. Those interested in leaving part of their estate to Union Gospel Mission of Salem can contact Sharalyn Bechtel, Director of Development, to arrange a meeting with someone knowledgeable in the area of estate planning. Or plan to attend one of our FREE, no obligation Estate Planning Seminars.
- Meet UGM
- Get Involved
- Mission Store